it was a facebook chain letter post that went viral about three years ago. i posted this february 5, 2009.
And to be honest, i think it's what encouraged to me start blogging.
i thought it would be fun to revisit and revise.
i was happy to see, not much as changed.
revisions are per [ ]
1. I do many things (like this and letting my kids walk around the house with food) that I never thought I would. I'm OK with it now.
2. I don't use conditioner...ever.
3. Two nights ago Bo, my son, pooped in the tub shortly after her finished playing in the toilet. He cracks me up! [he still cracks me up on a regular basis].
4. This week I've nearly eaten an entire loaf of french bread with thick slabs of butter, jam and cheese. [it has been a while since i've indulged like that].
5. I don't usually exercise on purpose but I love to move and breath and feel my muscles. [i've since joined a gym, but i like to that info on the dl. for one, i don't really go and two, it messes with my natural hippy vibe].
6. I made myself a cuss jar today.
7. I admire creativity. It makes me think of God.
8. In life, I've never been much of a planner. I'm more like a "see door - walk through door" kind of person. The weird thing is, when I look back, my path appears so purposefully laid out. It's like "of course." [i am getting better at preparing but i'm still not a planner].
9. I believe in things like community living and sharing. [more than ever].
10. Charlee, my daughter, reminds me of a nymph or a dirty little woodland pixie. She's pretty skittish around humans but she comes alive in the trees and on the jungle gym. She prefers garden beds to the sidewalk any day. I like to think she got that from me. [true. true. true].
11. Sometimes, when I'm a little down, I feel like smoking a cigarette with red lipstick on.... Don't you?
12. I would like to become a really fantastic gardener. Some day I will share some of my tomatoes and carrots with you. I would also like to learn to speak Spanish.
13. I fantasize about having totally organized closets and cupboards. It bugs me. Why can't I just let it go and live a little.[so lame, i can't even handle it].
14. I'm very proud of my family - all the love and forgiveness. My parents can live with me when they get old.
15. I have learned some of my most important life lessons from children and special people who can't operate or communicate like the rest of us. They are like my Gurus. [i love this].
16. I'll forgive you most things if you can make me laugh. It's the secret to my success.
17. If you are ever using my washroom and you are wondering, the People magazines are in the middle drawer to the left and the hand towels are on the top shelf behind the door. [i try not to buy people magazines anymore but there is an ikea catalog and a brennen manning devotional].
18. I really miss my brothers. I've been thinking it would be so fun to go camping - just the four of us.
19. My kids faces take my breath away...and my heart skips.
20. My husband makes me feel beautiful all the time even when I feel saggy, prickly and veiny...
21. I like my coffee dark and strong with cream. [half&half now].
22. I like rainy days. I'm sorry. I hope we can still be friends.
23 I'm constantly trying to think of ways to make emptying the dishwasher fun and exciting. Any ideas? [i'm constantly trying to think of ways to make my kids think emptying the dishwasher is fun and exiting].
24. Lucky #24... I don't feel a day over 24.
25. Deep in my soul I feel extremely grateful...for it all.
a toddler mattress is an unbelievable activity for kids on those long. rainy. days.
notice i said "activity," as in physical activity and not"toy."
we have a couple retired and might i add, trashed, plastic crib mattresses,
i keep on hand for when we have a puking kid. i keep them in the shop.
every once in a while, when the rain just keeps on coming
we pull them out to:
make a slide off the couch with,
slide down the stairs with,
use as an additional wall for a
barn or a pirate ship or an animal hospital.
the list goes on.
if your kids have an ounce of imagination,
give em an old beat up, ripped down the side, toddler mattress
and watch the magic unfold.
and it's free.
*warning: sometimes kids cry when they hurt themselves.
ok, so this next thing is something i have avoided pretty adamantly in my blogging history.
but i love food so really, it was only a matter of time.
when it is grey and wet outside, i crave hot comfort food in my tummy.
salads are a summer thing/ a side.
i also like:
and quick (because it's a necessity).
i also like to control my ingredients.
basically, i like to know what i'm eating
and what my kids are eating.
i have pretty much avoided buying certain canned or packaged foods
with a few great recipes that fit the bill.
without further ado, rainy day chicken noodle soup sans can. takes about 25 minutes and feeds a family of 6 with leftovers.
in a good sized pot, put together
1 TBS of butter
2 carrots (sliced or diced)
2 celery stalks (diced)
1 med golden onion (diced)
saute in until soft
2 tsp thyme
and 1 tsp salt and 6 cups of stock (i use chicken)
simmer with lid on until veggies are all the way soft (about 7- 10 minutes)
11/2 cups up egg noodles (i use broad)
cook until noodles are soft (7-10 minutes)
then add 2 plus cups of diced cooked chicken (use a roast chicken)
and 1-2 cups of frozen peas.
cook for 5 more minutes.
add fresh ground pepper to the bowls before they are served.
*sometimes in order to skip a step, i add diced uncooked chicken before i add the noodles. it cooks in about 4 minutes when the broth is at a low simmer.
*when the kids take too long to eat their food, use this and offer a consequence (like no video games for 3 days) if they do not finish in a reasonable amount of time. it's kind of fun and scary and does the trick.
this word has been gaining popularity as well as usage in our home.
i've been getting a lot of
"but mom, i want to be cool."
to which i usually feel like replying
(cue "inigo montoya" accent)
"you keep using that word. i do not think it means what you think it means"
but i don't, because he wouldn't get it
or think it's cool.
i'm down with some "cool".
in all honesty, i just don't think
we fit the bill,
for the record,
here are some of bodhi's firm definitions of "cool:"
*not wearing undies
*zipping his hoodie only half way up.
*only songs with a beat
(that he can shake his little free-ballin booty to).
or "video gamey."
is the ultimate grand supreme with cash.